Saturday, February 1, 2020

GREENER PASTURES

For years before I shipped out to prison, my apartment had a major roach problem which I simply could not rectify. And it wasn't because I didn't try. From the moment the Feds came to my door, I sweated whether I'd be able to sublet an infested apartment. As a subletter, I know I'd be grossed out taking over a joint with critters.

It turns out I had nothing to worry about. As the lowest-paying tenant in the building, the landlord stood in the way of me subletting legally in a vain attempt to "ease" me out. I even considered entertaining a buyout offer - what with the going price north of 50 k. But after a brief moment, I decided against that. Coming out of prison to nowhere would be a bad idea.

Well anyway...something interesting happened as my apartment lay fallow for 11 months. The roaches left for greener pastures. I had always been vigilant about not leaving dirty dishes in the sink and cleaning out the toaster on a regular basis. But nothing seemed to work (including spray, traps and God knows what else to try and rid my place of bugs). But apparently, having nobody living in the place for almost a year did the trick. 

In the now 2 + months I've been back, I have seen exactly one roach in all that time. And that was when I left a dirty dish in the sink for a couple of hours. What a blessing. I hate roaches. So you see...there's always a silver lining to a storm cloud. I now live roach-free. And don't take it for granted for one second. 

1 comment:

  1. The People's Republic of ChinaFebruary 2, 2020 at 10:02 AM

    You could have tried the MCC strategy of flooding it all with toilet water.

    The acting warden that you made that anxious to see her comment to is the new warden at MCC now - Vitale. I think she was from Danbury and Danbury is getting Big Sandy's Warden as a replacement. Maybe because they're turning Danbury into a chomo prison. Seems to be the big thing now. A lot of sex offenders entering the Feds these days from what the COs were saying.

    There's still no sign of the Elderly Offender Home Detention program taking effect at MCC so if you had chased that, you would've been stressing over nothing. They're still worthless but that should come as no surprise. No part of the First Step Act seems to be happening at MCC really. Programs and halfway house still theoretical.

    On a side note, I did find out that the Inmate Companion Program was constantly shorting everyone with regards to pay. And when I brought it up, Psychology pointed the finger at Trust Fund and Trust Fund pointed the finger back at Psychology.

    ReplyDelete